Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Who’s been to Stilleto Lake?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Cameron
      Participant

This lake holds a special place in my heart, as it was the destination of my first backpacking trip as a 9 or 10 year old. My father and I found it when camped at Dagger Lake in 1986, and we camped at Stilleto the next year. Both years we stayed up there about a week; I was growing up in AZ w/ my mother, and was just visiting up here a couple summers.

It wasn’t till 2000 that I was able to return, and I’ve been there another 2 times since. I’d really like to get up there this year, but it would have to be a short trip.

There’s beautiful CT in there, that get very colored up this time of year. I’ve caught 13-14″ recently, but as a kid, landed an 18″ or so. My father tells me that, I don’t remember it clearly enough. He say’s we cut it in 3 to fit in the fry pan.

Anyways, was wondering if anyone else has been there, and how their opinion of it compares to other high alpine lakes. It’s my favorite place, and it’s strange that a lake is even up there, when you’re looking up from below. The waterfall gives it away though.

allison
        Participant

I was there in late September or early October last year with a few people familiar to this site. The larches were ablaze and the fishing was, as TBs like to say, adequate. 😛 We went in from the east side, via Twisp Pass, which is so lovely all by itself. I’m pretty picky about my lakes, and really, really liked that one. I’m not much of a lake repeater, but will return.

Cameron
          Participant

Haven’t been there in fall, but would love to. I hiked down that east side, hunting grouse, and it was real nice. If you hike arround the peaks, up high on the W NW side, you’ll end up up high, looking down on the N Cascade Hwy.

Were the fish colored up when you were there? I think I caught some allmost all red, just gorgeous.

Anonymous

No one else? ❓

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

I’ve been there. It is a beautiful spot. We were there in August and it was cold enough that we found the lake frozen over with a surprisingly thick layer of ice in the morning. Stiletto Peak is worth walking up, too.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.