Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Miscellaneous What’s in Minda’s PCT pack?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Minda Paul
      Participant

Here is what I was carrying for WA…… (sorry ’bout the spelling and grammer)

Pack: Go Lite Odessy (love it)
        Bag: Lafuma Warm n Light Down 30 deg with Cocoon Silk Liner + event compression sack
        Tent: Six Moon Designs Refuge 2 man+ stuff sack & 6 titanunum stakes

Thermarest Z-lite short pad
        Tyvek groundcloth for tent (best groundcloth I have ever used)
        Cooking: Cat Can Stove w/ 20 oz bottle for heet (fuel), tin foil windscreen, wire pot stand, lighter, Evernew 1ltr titanum pot w 1 titanum spoon, 1/4 of a scrub pad
        Camera (cannon powershot 630-it’s taken a beating really well)
        I-pod (80-gig)
        Cell phone
        Sunuto s6 altimeter watch
        Aqua-Mira (haven’t used)
        Sunscreen (haven’t used in months)
        Leki trekking poles
        Shot of Crown Royal
        Telescoping fish pole, open face reel, 3 lures, 2 swivels, 4 lead weights
        Headnet & Ben’s 100% Deet
        Native dash sunglasses
        Chapstick
        Washcloth & MSR micro towel
        2 @ 2+ltr platypus & 20 oz gatorade bottle
        travel pack kleenix
        e-lite headlamp
        small knife
        Journal, pencil, pen, sharpie
        PCT Guidebook, data book, green trail maps
        Baby wipes (approx 5 per day)
        First Aid (duct tape, mole skin, needle & thread, 2 big band-aid, 2 fem pad, 30 ibuprophin, 10 vicodin, lighter, 2 @ CR2032 batteries, 6 saftey pins)
        5 @ 2-gallon ziplock bags, 2 @ 3-gallon odor proof ziplocks for food
        Bath Bag-travel size toothbrush,toothpaste,deoderant, 1in mirror, 1/2 of a comb, extra hairband, vitimans, q-tips, fingernail clippers

Clothing: Marmot DriClim Windshirt, Rei Sahara Pants, Tank Top, Bra, Lightweight Stormtec long sleeve poly fleece, Exofficio Buzz Off long sleeve sun shirt, 2 pair lightweight mini crew socks, 2 pair exofficio underwear, Underarmor sleep pants, sleep tank top, heavy weight sleep socks, Lightweight gloves, OR Hat that covers neck & chin, Integral Designs Poncho & shortie gaitors, Asics running shoes, Crocs, Sun hat with the top cut off

There was several questions about my gear at the meeting so I thought some of you might find it interesting what I was (or was not) carrying or using.

Cheers,minda

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Thanks for posting that list. My favorite item was right at the bottom: the sun hat with the top cut off. That’s a great idea. Too bad I don’t have enough hair to do that. That does lead me to a question, though. I don’t see a rain hat. In the rain did you use the hood of your poncho? Was the poncho something you adopted for the PCT trip? How did you end up liking it?

Did you end up using the fishing rod enough to justify the weight?

Minda Paul
          Participant

I went through several hats that weren’t working for one reason or another before I modified my own. It was hot in the desert. I needed something to shade my neck and block the late afternoon sun from all angles, but my head needed ventilation with all my hair.

The poncho was great. In the past I have carried an emergency one for just in case on good weather trips. I’ve needed to use it and liked it, so I decided to get something more durable for the trip. For the most part the poncho kept me and my pack dry. However, the one I have doubles as a tarp so there are three snaps on each side instead of a sealed seam. When I walk through wet brush I end up getting the sides of my shorts wet. I used the hood to keep my head dry, but I tucked the edges behind my ears because of the crinkling noise. I would still wear shorts and a tank top, so when I was moving I was the perfect temperature as where with rain gear I get way too hot. The down side to that is that when I stopped I got cold really fast. I didn’t want to get my warm clothes wet, so I just kept moving.

The pole was worth the weight just becuase I had the opportunity. I only used it once at Blue Lake in the wind. Had I made the trip another year I think it would have gotten more use. Although I had planned on reduced mile days for fishing I was plagued with either mosquitos or cold weather rain.

Joshua Cowart
            Participant

Its cool to see your list. I really like to keep my pack weight down and its nice to know the brands of your equipment. I often think about trying the PCT someday. You are the first person I know to have done it…

Thanks for encouraging me into finally attending the meeting last night. I rather enjoyed it. Seems like a nice slice of humanity trying to help out where our government can fall short (monetarily, man hours, surveys, ect). I hope I can help.

peace
              josh

Minda Paul
              Participant

Well, I have not done it yet..
                Key’s to keeping your weight down-
                Carry minimal amount of water. I used to haul enough water in my pack to get to my destination. Now, I’ll look for reliable streams along the way so I can keep it to a liter or less. Mountain water is better anyway.
                Food-Look at calories per oz. I try to pick things that are 120 cal per oz or more.
                Nomad told me there is a balance in backpacking-being comfortable while you are walking and being comfortable while you are camping.

A couple of things that did not work out..
                Rei Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles-They were more stable than the alum ones, but I returned two pair due to the screwing height adjustors not working. (One time I had failure in the Sierra’s and had to sleep in a shortie tent for two weeks) I have only had that happen with the Leki’s a couple times in the cold. I held the joint in my hand to warm it up and then they worked fine.

Water System-I really like sipping from a bladder. I couldn’t keep one in my pack because I found it would either end up leaking on my stuff or it was difficult to refill. I found the platy’s easy and sturdy enough to strap to the outside of my pack. (The 2 that I have I have used since mid May and have travelled 2000 miles) I have a bladder tube I can attach and a regular lid as well for when I was at camp and wanted to disconnect it.

Pants-I had a pair of Mtn Hardware convertable’s and the mosquitos could bite through them. For some reason the skeeters can’t bite through the Sahara’s. They dry much faster too.

I’m glad you came to the meeting too. I wish I could get out on a trip with you. I like snow camping-so let me know if you want to go this winter. I’ll should be fine by then. There are plenty of people in the club who like to get into spots tucked away from the masses. If you are looking for company post it on the forum. I am guessing it will catch on so you should get response.

Hans Helm
                Participant

Thanks for the great inputs, Minda.

I never understood why people don’t get a lightweight misquito net
                  jacket. They cost about $30.00
                  You can actually drink through the netting.

Maybe it’s a claustrophobic thing?
                  not sure.

Have a pain free hike or nearly so. 😀 Hans

Larry Anderson
                  Participant

I started using a Camelback in my pack last year and I’ve also had trouble with it leaking. Then it gets your gear wet, and wastes your water. And, it’s a lot harder to fill at creeks. I may go back to my water bottle.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.