Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Watch this space . . .( updated with pics! ) . .

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      sooperfly
      Participant

A little birdy told me that a couple large westslope cutthroat trout were presented to the DFW earlier this week. If certified by Olympia, one of these will most likely be the new state record, besting the old (2005) record by a very large margin. 😀

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

C’mon, lets see ’em! They don’t have be certified for us to ogle the photos. 😀

sooperfly
          Participant

Got the certificate back from the state a couple days ago.. They messed up and listed it wrong but hopefully I can get that fixed. 😡

Old record 2.41 lbs, new record 4.71 lbs. 20.5 inches.
            Hauled two fish out, the second one was over 2″ longer and looked much bigger but actually weighed in at 4.205 lbs.

Picture here: http://www.rivercolor.com/images/westy.jpg

Video on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHIHePZJbDo

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

Sooperfly, I edited your post so the picture displays directly. I hope you don’t mind. If that’s a problem let me know and I’ll fix it.

That is one beautiful fish. I love the video, it really shows just how big that fish is. And where are the pics of the other CT you caught that day?

sooperfly
              Participant

Brian,

No problem embedding the picture, I didn’t because I thought it might be a tad bit wide. I’ll put up a picture of the smaller fish when I get home. Kinda a bummer that it weighed less, besides being longer it just looked bigger. Go figure.

sooperfly
                Participant

Here are a couple pics of the smaller (weight-wise) cutty.

mcmahon2005
                  Participant

I was surprised to see what style of lake that came out of in the video. The bank is close to vertical, well maybe not vertical but its pretty steep. Im guessing due to the depth the fish was able to live long enough to where it could eat other fish. Im guessing there were more than a few small ifsh in that lake. Thats just my guess, i could be completely wrong and the lake is full of insects and thats how it got that big.

Is this a statewide record for cutthroat, or is it a high lakes record? Is it record for a subspecies of cutthroat or just cutthroat in general? Ohh, and where would i be able to look up records for fish like this?

sooperfly
                    Participant

The state currently lists four types of cutthroat. Click the link below for a listing

http://wdfw.wa.gov/cgi-bin/database/fish/fishing_record.cgi?keyword=cutthroat&field=all&srchtype=within&job=search&submit=Search+Records

The records are for state-wide, not just “high” or “low” lakes.

Not having cut the fishies open (yet) I couldn’t tell you what they were eating. I can tell you the lake isn’t very deep and it’s chock full of insects, including a high-lake troutie favorite, scuds. I didn’t observe a single small fish in 4 days. I do know it was planted in the last couple years. All those fry had either become fish food or were hiding outta sight. And in that time I watched several hatches and never once saw a fish either feed from the surface or jump. Some people had told me the lake was barren as they neither caught or saw anything on their trips.

mcmahon2005
                      Participant

wow, i wouold have bet money that that lake is what people would consider a “deep” lake. I guess the bank all of a sudden flattens out.

It looks like the westslope record is the only reachable one for high lake fisherman. Looks like if i want a record i gotta head east a little bit.

sooperfly
                        Participant

I doubt the rainbow record will ever come out of an alpine lake, but you might check some threads on here about other fish. If you want to chase records in the mountains the golden trout record is a doable one. 😀 😀

Rich Brown
                          Participant

Mr. Sooperfly,
                            Hey, when you get a chance would you mind sending me a private email with the T/R/S where you caught these fish. If that doesn’t work Lat. & Long. would be fine.
                            Wow, what a slab. I’m surprised it wasn’t a little longer than 20.5 inches to be that heavy. Thanks for sharing.

sooperfly
                            Participant

@RPBrown wrote:

Mr. Sooperfly,
                              Hey, when you get a chance would you mind sending me a private email with the T/R/S where you caught these fish. If that doesn’t work Lat. & Long. would be fine.
                              Wow, what a slab. I’m surprised it wasn’t a little longer than 20.5 inches to be that heavy. Thanks for sharing.

Hmm, I would but I bumped my head after I got home and don’t remember where I went? 😆

Rich Brown
                              Participant

haha….hey, good answer! Thanks again for sharing. Most impressive!!

caveman
                                Participant

Nice fish, It would be stupid to give up where you caughtthe fish. Everyone and there mother would be up there. We all have out fishing holes up there, it just takes time to find them.

Caveman

Rich Brown
                                  Participant

Yep, I couldn’t agree more. I was just kidding.

Ken McLeod
                                    Participant

Super fish! Great video BTW.
                                      McPil

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.