Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Miscellaneous Unusual Sighting

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob Martin
      Participant

While hiking into Lake Stuart a few summers ago, I saw an unusual snake crawling across the trail. It was a rubber boa (Charina bottae) about 18 or 20 inches long. I carefully placed my hiking staff on its tail so my fishing partner and I could get a better look. In all my years of roaming about the state I’ve never seen another one.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Rubber boas are awesome snakes. Their tail looks more like their head then their head looks like their head. I saw my second one this summer on the trail up to the Snow Lakes out of Leavenworth. Here’s a shot of it:

I must have been the first one up the trail because a bit later I spotted a rattler. It got into the brush before I recovered my senses and could get my camera out. Before the tip was over I also spotted two different varieties of garter snake.

Bob Martin
          Participant

Thanks Brian, Your photo looks as good as the one in the Audubon Society Field Guide. I hope I see another rubber boa someday. They’re interesting snakes. As for rattlers, I’d just as soon pass.

Years ago during basic training at Ft. Ord, one of our gung ho training lieutenants was showing the rest of us the proper way to enter a fox hole and come to a shooting position. He was shocked to discover that a gopher snake (which looks a lot like a rattler) had entered to hole first and was coiled up at the bottom. First we heard a bloodcurdling scream, then the M-1 came flying out of the hole, and then the wild-eyed, terrified lieutenant came scrambling out. I think he soiled his pants. There was never a better example of, “Do as I say, not as I do.” It provided a lot of much needed comic relief to our platoon.

Anonymous

WoW!!! That’s something. In all my years I’ve never seen one. Just goes to show you sometimes things just pass you by…
              McPil

Anonymous

Hey Brian,
                How about contributing this rare snake photo to AlpineQuest.com’s Guest Photo Page…can I put it up with your OK?

McPil

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

Sure, you are welcome to use that pic.

Anonymous
                    Anonymous

I saw one on the trail to Waptus LK in the early 90’s.

Anonymous

:X Now imagine if the world was like that.:I

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.