Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Trip Report Alpine lakes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      masterTangler
      Participant

A very big thank you to Hi-lakers. Most of what I had picked out to trout fish with was utterly ineffective. I did however pick up several of the lures suggested to me via Hi-Lakers and that made all the difference in my success.

Here is the trip report for any who may be interested.

http://mastertangler.blogspot.com

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

I enjoyed your trip report. You made one really fortuitous decision, and had one false assumption.

The fortuitous decision was not taking the trail to Square Lake. That trail was wiped out by a fire some years ago and never rebuilt so it would have gotten rough.

The false assumption is that you are more likely to get bigger fish in bigger lakes. Most of the food in a lake is produced in water that is less than 10 feet deep. Smaller lakes are more likely to have a higher percentage of shallow water so on a per acre basis small lakes are often more productive than large lakes. Of course there are many factors such as elevation, exposure, quantity of aquatic plants, etc. But you’d be amazed at what big fish can come out if tiny lakes.

masterTangler
          Participant

Hi Brian
            well good to know about Square lake……….probably quite a bit of logs in the trail then? Still would of liked to make the trip however.

As per small lakes, small fish you are probably correct again. Only a general statement which I have found to be true. Anyways………fishing was fun and satisfying largely because of you. Check out the Brown trout color pattern as I did much better with it than the gold…….just sayin. I like the action of that size spoon and will likely incorporate it now for more than just trout. Small streams and smallmouth bass seems like a good fit as well as still waters and big perch and crappie seem like they would chew on that size spoon. Nice lure and probably often overlooked.

I wished I would of had that spoon when I was in Glacier national park fishing for quality Brook Trout on a lake. I did very nicely there on Lake trout and Rainbows but only was able to catch one nice big brook trout. Probably would of caught them on that spoon.

Later
            Al

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.