Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Storing fish during long hikes, etc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ryan Bowering
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could hear your tips on how to handle catch while deep in the woods.

I’ve heard of the wet burlap bag, but that sounds like a short term thing, no?

Is it a matter of only keeping what you can eat? Does anyone bring a soft cooler and instant cold packs? Is there something else?

Thanks so much!

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Mostly you should just keep what you can eat. If there is snow around you can pack fish in snow, but baring that it can be difficult to keep fish cool enough.

It is also worth keeping in mind the number of fish stocked in some lakes. In small lakes there might be only 20, 50, or 100 fish stocked so it can be really easy to take a measurable percentage of all the fish in the lake. In other lakes the fish are spawning out of control and the more fish you take the better.

Ryan Bowering
          Participant

thank you sir!

JOSHUA BURCK
            Keymaster

Ryan, I use an Artic Zone Ice Walls with the included ice packs in each wall, and a few re-usable ice packs inside the cooler, and my fish are very cold even after a long day, it weighs a decent amount and takes some space, but it also keeps bait if you use it and lunch cold for me. to keep it from smelling bad I put the fish in a grocery bag inside the cooler. I agree with Brian, typically on stocked lakes anymore I only keep 1 or 2 nice fish that I will eat right away, and if I foul hook a smaller fish it goes into a bag to be smoked.

Keith Peter
              Participant

I usually carry a plastic bag, find snow wrap it in my cloths to keep it insulated. That is if I am lucky to catch any fish.

Attachments:
            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.