Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Miscellaneous Really neat Google tool on northwest weather service site

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      allison
      Participant

Check this out:
        http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=47.42251265435723&lon=-121.409912109375&site=pdt&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

I don’t know how accurate this is, but the Google Map tool on this page allows you to zoom in to get a weather forecast for a very small area. Either use the +/- buttons or use the scroller on your mouse to get way in there for a look-see.

Pretty cool toy.

I thought I was going to go xc skiing over at Lake Keechelus tomorrow, but the point forecast for the area predicts -5 degrees F with wind chill. Hmm, maybe not….

Sandy McKean
        Participant

I thought I was going to go xc skiing over at Lake Keechelus tomorrow, but the point forecast for the area predicts -5 degrees F with wind chill. Hmm, maybe not….

I’m sure you are aware of this Allison, but this wind chill thing is SO misleading. I wish weather forecasters would stop quoting it. Most people don’t seem to realize that wind doesn’t change the air temperature one iota. Wind chill really tells you nothing unless you stand outside totally naked (exposure to frost bite). Other than that all wind chill tells you is that the more wind there is the more clothes you need (that’s even true in dead summer).

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.