Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Question – Glacier vs. n cascades

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeff
      Participant

I am curious about a few issues. I grew up in Montana and have fished high mountain lakes in Glacier np. Many lakes there were originally fishless but were stocked up until the 50’s or 60’s. There has been no stocking since then but they also haven’t poisoned the lakes. A good number of these lakes now support healthy self-sustaining populations of different trout. There is quite a variety between Rainbow, Grayling, Cutthroat, and just a couple with Brookies.

I think the Westslope Cutts were originally stocked from native populations closeby but the others are not native. Glacier is on the forefront of parks that protect native species and there is no plan that I am aware of to get rid of the fish there. Just wondering the difference in policy?

Are there any lakes with self-sustaining populations like this in NCNP? Glacier has a few, but small number of lakes with overpopulated reproducing fish, that seems more common out here.

Thanks for any insight.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

It was the Leopold Report in 1973 that led to the change in National Park policy to eliminate fish stocking. The general story of lakes being stocked in the 50s and 60s but not later is true for most National Parks. We’ve seen the exact same thing in Mt Rainier and Olympic National Parks here in Washington. Stocking was stopped in the early 70s and some lakes are left with naturally reproducing populations.

They have however, started to eliminate spawning fish in some lakes in Mt Rainier National Park. They’ve been quiet about it so it hasn’t drawn much attention. They’ve at least started to talk about eliminating some brookie populations in Olympic NP.

The reason NCNP has had continued stocking is because of its unique history. During hearings prior to creation of the park officials were specifically asked if stocking would continue and they assured that it would. The park was also split into both a regular National Park and two Recreation Areas where management differed. Now they are lumping management of all those units together under the rubric of the Stephen Mathers Wilderness that encompasses most of the Park.

There are very few lakes with reproducing fish in NCNP were the fish are not stunted. In general, lakes in the park are far less productive then lakes in the Rockies and with the reduced carrying capacity it seems to be more difficult to achieve a good balance with natural reproduction.

I’ve never hiked in Glacier, but I have hiked in the Great Bear Wilderness (and other wilderness areas more distant from Glacier in Montana). It is a beautiful area and we had a great 8 day trip in there.

Jeff
          Participant

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. It does make sense that the lakes are less fertile for trout than those in the Rockies, the same is true with rivers. It bums me out that they might have to discontinue the stocking in the north cascades, there aren’t many places around the west side of the state to trout fish as it is. It is really going back on the agreement made before the land was added to the Park Service. I wrote both senators…hopefully the bill from congress will pass in the Senate as well. Guess we’ll see in a few weeks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.