Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve Brown
      Participant

I’m curious what methods are being used to pack fish out without the meat spoiling

When I’m about 2 hours from the car or campsite I really don’t know how to get the fish out, so I just throw them back … but I would like to eat somee.

Possible ideas I’ve had :
        – ice
        – dry ice
        – instant cold packs

I’ve had good success smuggling ice cream into WA from the Lochmead dairy 5 hours south in Oregon using a brown grocery bag and dry ice, but I’ve never tried packing dry ice in a day pack.

Just curious what others are doing ?

– Steve

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

I pretty much only pack fish out if there is snow available. That worked for us a couple weeks ago. Of course snow can be hard to come by in some places. I’ve had fish do fine with no extra cooling if it is not a hot day and they are wrapped in as many clothes or other insulation as possible. Old school Thermarests used to be perfect for that. Freezing a disposable water bottle full of water would be a good source of ice, but I don’t now how long it would last on a hot day.

Spencer Meline
          Participant

If I’m planning on bringing back fish I just pack a trash bag toss the fish in the bag then wrap it in my puffy and place it the the center of my pack. Haven’t had any issues with spoilage.

Jeff Mix
            Participant

I like packing them out in my belly after I tempered them over some coals with a little Johnny’s and olive oil.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.