Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion novice: how do i take off the treble hook?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gonefishin
      Participant

“Hi. Very basic–^^^^Went fishing for high lakes trout for the first time this past weekend.^^^^Bent down the barbs with pliers, but how do you take off a treble hook? ^^^^Is there a way to cut off the other two hooks?^^^^How do I switch out a treble hook for a single barbless?^^^^I was spinning with Worden's rooster tails– can't figure out how to take off the hook on these.^^^^Any help with this ridiculously basic question would be great– I just want to get it right!”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“On the Rooster Tails you have to cut the hook off, then replace it with an open-eyed siwash hook. You have to put the hook on then crimp the open eye closed. Alternatively, you can used a closed-eye siwash hook and a split ring. To cut the hook off you can use wire cutters. You can cut the other two hooks off a treble with the wire cutters, but that doesn't work as well as replacing the treble with a single hook.^^^^[Edited on 8-9-2004 by Brian Curtis]^^^^[Edited on 8-9-2004 by Brian Curtis]”

brownster145
          Participant

“Changing out the trebles on Roostertails can be a pain. Make sure you have tightly pulled back the tail before you make the clip, or you'll find yourself with only the Rooster. ;)^^^^Like Brian said, just take an open eye siwash hook (easy to find in the Gamakatsu selection in most tackle stores/departments) and crimp it shut where the treble was before. Size 8 has always worked well for me.^^^^Pinching the barb will make the lure even more catch-and-release friendly, but you've already made a world of difference by getting rid of that treble. ^^^^Good luck^^^^Andrew”

gonefishin
            Participant

“Thanks for the timely reply, fellas.^^^^I'll give it a try!”

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.