Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Newer high lake planting data ?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any newer hi-lakes planting data than what can be found here ?:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/highlakes/County/King/

I see this appears to end with 2013.

I have taken all the data from the whole state and made a GPX file so I can see on my app map what lake are planted and the history. But I would like to update it with newer data because I know more plantings are happening and this data is old now…

thanks

Matt

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

I talked to one of the WDFW database folks last winter and it sounded like they had plans to update the high lake stocking. But obviously nothing has happened. Unfortunately the data is not tied in to their main stocking database and it has to be updated every year, which they have not done. So I expect it to be updated at some point, but who knows when. I think most of their effort is going into a new regulations app right now.

Don’t forget that the lakes stocked are only a fraction of the high lakes with fish. Lakes with natural reproduction are not generally stocked so they won’t show up on your map.

Anonymous

I sent an email to the Mill Creek team section of the WDFW asking about the lack of recent data on the High Lakes portion of their website a few days ago. Their customer service person who answered my email said “Unfortunately that is the information we have. We would highly encourage you to reach out to a group like the WA Hi Lakers. Their website is http://www.hilakers.org/. Groups like the Hi Lakers are who is stocking the high lakes anymore and they would be your best source for more information. We generally don’t receive reports from people fishing there. Message boards online are another great source of more recent information on how fishing has been. Sorry we can’t be of more help.”

Anonymous

The data they have shows pretty much anything that holds water has had fish put dropped in them at some point and a few I wander to went huh ? fish can’t live in that.

A couple years ago a lot of the tiny lakes appear to have gotten killed off by that really hot dry summer after previously having pretty nice fish in them.

Hmm guess the image posting is turned off here.

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

You would be surprised where fish can live 🙂 I saw some fish survive through the 2015 summer in a little lake that lost so much water I thought it would be impossible. They are really surprisingly resilient.

You should be able to attach photos. There should be a Choose File button below the box where you type your reply. Are you seeing something else?

Keith Peter
                Participant

Perhaps you need to resize your image so it can be posted

TeachingTitusToFish
                  Participant

Matt- You wouldn’t want to share that GPX file would you 🙂

Thanks,
                    Viet

Anonymous

Looks like I made a KML file instead of GPX….

So they are all “PlaceMark”s but should be importable into a few apps as well as google earth.

But here is is. The description has the plant data in it, so if you load into an App like Back Country Navigator you just long hold the point and it will pop up the data.

Well see if this will upload…

“Upload Errors:
                        lakeplants2014.kml: Sorry, this file type is not permitted for security reasons.”

Brian
                      Participant

Hi. Here is my recent exchange with WDFW about the High Lakes webpages’ data

Sent: Sunday, February 4, 2018 3:03 PM
                        To: Spinelli, Justin P (DFW) <Justin.Spinelli@dfw.wa.gov>
                        Subject: RE: High Lakes Fish Stocking

Hello again. It’s only February and I am already yearning for high lakes. I was looking at the Fish Washington High Lakes Stocking Info pages again. However the latest High Lakes stocking data I’ve been able to find on the site is 2012, and a search on the Catchable Trout Plant Reports page using a 08/31/2014 to 02/04/2018 search filter only returns plants for January 2018.

The current High Lakes webpages are the finest collection of search tools and data (if kept up to date) an angler could hope to plan daytrips or extended journeys into backcountry regions of Washington State for fishing. In 2016 I used the High Lakes Fish Stocking Map to compare several different areas before ultimately deciding on an extended loop trip through the Indian Heaven Wilderness to visit as many lakes as possible. That data is now too dated to make valid comparisons.

What’s the status on a new website? Will it have the (current) High Lakes Stocking data, with the filtering, and search features of the existing site?

Thanks

Brian

Spinelli, Justin P (DFW) <Justin.Spinelli@dfw.wa.gov>
                        Brian,
                        Not much has changed since September. The new website continues to be developed and is consuming programing resources. The high lakes on Fish Washington are still a viable resource for developing a list of waters to visit as the stocking records are the only thing that are out of date. If you have a list of waters that you are interesting in exploring we will do our best to provide you with updated records.
                        -Justin

JOSHUA BURCK
                        Keymaster

So rather than posting records WDFW would rather go through the effort to email you data on each lake you are interested in? What if you tell them you are interested in every high lake in WA and share the results ?

Brian
                          Participant

[quote quote=114476]So rather than posting records WDFW would rather go through the effort to email you data on each lake you are interested in? What if you tell them you are interested in every high lake in WA and share the results [/quote]Hallelujah! I am happy to report checking for some High Lakes data today and finding a stocking report from August 2017 on the Fish Washington High Lakes page.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Brian.
                            • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Brian.
                              Anonymous

Cool, I was able to regenerate my KML file with all the new data they added to the pages.

Looks like
                                ~120 lakes – 2017
                                ~137 lakes – 2016
                                ~152 lakes – 2015

got fish planted.

Brian
                              Participant

Unfortunately the WDFW High lakes pages have been “updated”.
                                Gone is the interactive ESRI map with hot link icons for the stocked lakes color coded with when the lakes were stocked that also took you to the individual lake pages that show species and years planted :(.
                                Gone is is the search function by county and species :(.
                                That was a most elegant, concise, and feature-rich planning tool.
                                More’s the pity.

I emailed to ask about it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Brian.
                                  Brian Curtis
                                  Keymaster

I just took a look and thought that maybe they had finally hooked the stocking info into their stocking database so that it would automatically stay updated. But 2018 stocking is not showing so that can’t be the case.

MattT
                                    Participant

The interactive ESRI map had a JSON file generated which when you zoomed way out and did a select all gave you the full list of all the lakes and that is what I used to get to the individual lakes to pull the current planting data so with out that there is no easy way to do updates anymore.

trout_trekn
                                    Participant

Is anyone else unable to view stocking data on the WDFW high lakes page as of a couple weeks ago? I could initially see it on the new website but at some point within the last month the page for a given lake stopped displaying species/stocking info and only showing location, acreage, and elevation of that lake. I’m running into the same problem with every lake I search and am curious if it’s an overall website issue or just something with my particular browser. Error form has been submitted.

Brian Curtis
                                        Keymaster

I’m not seeing any stocking data there, either. I haven’t paid too much attention to WDFW’s site, but it looks like they changed the database they are using to list the high lakes at some point.

Brian
                                        Participant

The response I got from the fisheries program Director inferred that the Fish Washington mobile app was the agency’s highest priority for IT development resources (means labor and cash to this retired IT guy). That’s sad because while I use and generally like the app, the search function is so limited for an “application”. I could do more with a pdf and a decent pdf reader on my phone if the file were kept updated with emergency closures and openings.

JOSHUA BURCK
                                          Keymaster

So will it work on the app? I don’t have their app and don’t really care to have it.

Brian
                                            Participant

No stocking data in the app. It’s an electronic pamphlet that updates with the latest open-close-spcl regs status every time the app is opened if connected to cell/wifi service. If not in cell/wifi coverage it defers to the last update downloaded.

You can find locations on a map display, do a GPS “find me”, or by a name search. Touch the body of water on the map and it gives you the open-close-spcl regs status. On rivers the GPS locator can be pretty handy due to a maze of closures.
                                              However it sure would be nice to be able to search for open waters by county, species, and especially year-round in winter.

If I ever do get pinched because I was offline and didn’t get an update, I’ll take a screenshot to try to get it dismissed in court. But I haven’t seen a WDFW LEO in 50 years of fishing so not likely.

trout_trekn
                                              Participant

Such a bummer! I guess there’s no publicly available stocking records for the high lakes whatsoever anymore, does anyone know of a way to access these records otherwise? I assume Trail Blazers and/or Hi-Lakers keep a database. Or I suppose WDFW could be contacted on a lake to lake basis, does anyone know who at the department is in charge of coordinating high-lakes management or might otherwise make sense to contact?

Brian Curtis
                                                Keymaster

It looks to me like WDFW intends to have more information on those high lake pages so I’m guessing the stocking records will be back at some point.

There is no single person at WDFW to contact about individual high lakes. You have to contact the fish biologist who is responsible for the area where the lake you are interested in sits.

It is worth keeping in mind that in many ways the stocking records give a distorted view of the high lake fishery anyway. Lakes with reproducing fish typically don’t get stocked so if you just go by what is stocked you’ll be missing out on a lot of lakes. When I go out of state I never look at stocking records ahead of my trips. I will check them afterward to compare with what I found. But I don’t like the sometimes false bias that checking stocking records gives me when I explore a new lake. On my last trip to the Beartooths in Montana the two lakes that produced the largest fish for us were both lakes that were supposedly fishless. Had I paid attention to Montana’s high lake website I would have skipped fishing those lakes. On a trip to Idaho we were catching fish over 18″ out of one particular lake. We later ran into a party who had camped at the lake but hadn’t bothered to fish it because the biologist told them it didn’t have any fish! I think there is a lot to be said for just getting out and exploring.

Brian Curtis
                                                  Keymaster

The stocking records are back on the WDFW high lake pages. They must have had a technical problem.

Brian
                                                    Participant

Thanks for the heads up!! I sure hope they restore the interactive state map on the High Lakes landing page with hot links for each stocked lake’s webpage that showed the stocking history. What a fabulous trip planning tool that was!

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.