Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Mountain Loop less traveled

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tobyray80
      Participant

So i’ve talked my buddy into buying a float tube, waders, rod, etc.. Hit some Mt.loop lakes Boardman, Evan, coal, and heisn’t too impressed by my knowledge of where to find Brookies, understandably. Plan out going out again this week and do an overnight. I’m looking for somewhere to hike to camp and have a couple lakes to choose from. Like camp at coal, fish pass, independence and north lakes. But…don’t want to spend two days catching four inch fish! Or get out there and not be able to find a trail head…as I was checking out bear lake also. So…question is does anyone know best website for looking up trails and or maps? Has anyone fished the lakes up around coal? Any ideas? Don’t mind doing the research but can’t afford trail books at the moment and not finding much on internet. Thanks guys.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

It is very rare to find good fishing in a high lake that is right on the road like Coal Lake. The lakes are too small and the growing seasons too short to support a ton of pressure. And Coal has more of those brookies you are so fond of 😀

But the surrounding lakes are better. Pass and Independence are both very short hikes and small lakes. But neither has brookies so that’s improvement right off the bat. North is a large lake that can be a bit tough to fish so it tends to hold up better. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed exploring that area.

There are lots of trail resources. The MBSNF website recreation page has interactive trail maps. Washington Trails Association has an extensive database of trail descriptions.

You should get comfortable with topographic maps. Ultimately, they are your best resource. I like Hill Map for online interactive topo maps.

For driving to trailheads you should pick up copies of the Forest Service maps available at ranger stations. Unfortunately, they can be a bit spendy these days.

tobyray80
          Participant

Awesome, thank you for the feedback. Yeah already had the coal lake experience and its a nice setting but fishing wasn’t awe inspiring by any stretch of the imagination. Pretty much planned on using as a base camp a we lack the stuff to camp very far from the vehicle, like water filters and stoves etc… Hopefully I will acquired more supplies by next year so I can venture out a little father.
            I am familiar with topo maps but only from viewing online. I downloaded a backpacker app that uses phone GPS but the topo maps have the trails drawn in by hand and its difficult to use. Handy but could be better. I’ll check those Web sites out though.
            Are these lakes ones you guys would be interested in a survey from?
            And once again thanks.

Mick Scott
            Participant

That Hill map link is cool – Thanks Brian

Richard Olmstead
              Participant

@tobyray80 wrote:

Are these lakes ones you guys would be interested in a survey from?
                And once again thanks.

Yes. Any and all mountain lakes, even the ones close to the road, are important to survey.

D

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.