Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Mildred Lakes – Request for Info

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      RandyFl
      Participant

“Hello TrailBlazers. I’m not a member but found your forum and site thanks to a few searches for information on Olympic Mountains lakes. Some of the discussions I read here were quite informative and interesting so I’ve decided to post a question of my own. I’m looking for a bit of info on Mildred Lakes because I’m planning to hike up there for a couple of days this coming week. Hope some folks read the forum often enough to see this first!^^^^I have some familiarity with the trail because I hiked about halfway to the lakes several years ago. The hike was aborted due to reasons I won’t go into, but suffice it to say it had nothing to do with whether or not I could handle hiking the Boulevard!^^^^I’ve read in a few places that there was a landslide about a mile and a half from the trailhead a few years back and it hasn’t been fixed yet. Even found reference to it in an article from two months ago. Is anyone familiar with this? I read on one site that you could pass it with a good off road vehicle. I have one but wouldn’t consider myself an particularly skilled driver of the vehicle.^^^^Has anyone fished the lakes this year or even last? Any idea if they are producing fish? While fishing isn’t a requirement for this trip I would really like to do a little.^^^^If anyone has hiked it recently and has trail condition information or any other information or hints about the hike or lakes that would be great!^^^^Thanks for any information you can give!^^^^Randy.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“Unfortunately, I haven’t been up to the Mildreds since the eighties and I haven’t been up that road since the slide. From what I’ve heard I don’t think you’ll have trouble crossing it. Two things I am sure of are that you will find fish and great scenery.^^^^Here’s the report from the Olympic NF web site:^^^^^^MILDRED LAKES Trail #822^^^^4.5 miles 1,800-3,900’ Extremely steep, difficult way trail. Trail provides access to Mt. Skokomish Wilderness. Campfires above 3,500’ are prohibited.^^^^Conditions:^^^^No recent report Avalanche/slide on trail 1 mi. from trailhead is flagged on each end of debris pile.^^^^Remarks:^^^^Hamma Hamma Road is open to 14 miles to the Mildred Lakes Trailhead.^^^^http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/olympic/recreation/reports/report_hood.htm^^”

Dave Weyrick
          Participant

“I’m planning a day hike to Mildred Lakes on Tuesday, Oct 3, if weather permits. It’ll be my first trip up there, so I won’t have answers to your ? till Wed.”

RandyFl
            Participant

“Thanks guys. Looks like I’ll be heading out Monday and coming back Wednesday. So Dave, if you see a thirty-something guy up there with brown hair in a ponytail say hello! I’ll likely just be camping near one of the lakes. Sounds like the slide is passable for me, so I won’t have to hike an extra mile and a half.^^^^If you are interested, I’ll post how the trip went once I get back.”

Dave Weyrick
              Participant

“Randy, I think I talked to you on Tuesday between the first and big Mildreds (was with another guy heading out past where you were camped). I didn’t get a chance to see your post before I left or I’d have introduced myself. We caught a few cutthroat to 13 in the far lake, but had no luck in the first or big lakes. Hope you had a good trip too.”””

RandyFl
                Participant

“Hi Dave. Yes, we spoke. I was in my own land of confusion actually and didn’t realize till a few minutes later that it was probably you. I was thinking you guys were the ones who were overnighting. I didn’t realize till after you left that you were dayhiking. Otherwise I would certainly have introduced myself!^^^^The trip was great for a number reasons. First time I did a trip like that solo. The fishing was so-so but that was mostly due to my own ineptitude. Too much time spent with my line tangled. I only fished the first lake. Caught a few between 4 and 6″” and had several more honest strikes. I went up to take a look at the big lake but didn’t make it to the third one. Gives me a reason to go back.”””

ltlcleo
                  Participant

“I used to love that hike!Have not done it in probably 9 years though.My favorite time of the year was just after ice out.Early july wa smy target.The fish come out of the lakes to spawn in the creek joining the two lower lakes.Gives a guy an idea the size and numbers that were,are, present in those lakes!”

scottfletch
                    Participant

Hello I am new to this site. I am a die hard fly fisherman. I would love to go up to mildred lakes and give it a try. From reading some post there were some people going up there. How was it? Was the fishing worth the trip too? Thanks Scott:)

Brian Curtis
                      Keymaster

“Welcome to the forum, Scott. The funny thing about high lakes is that the fishing is always worth the trip, even when you don't catch anything. The scenery and setting is worth the trip all by itself. Fishing in the most beautiful places in the world is reward enough. So, yes, the fishing is worth the trip. Is the fishing good? You'll have to go up and find out for yourself :D”

Dave Weyrick
                        Participant

“I thought the day trip I made to the Mildred's last Sept. was well worthwhile. Of course you must keep in mind the fall colors were optimum and we lucked into a gorgeous day so the scenery was fantastic; midsummer may mean a flower show that tops the conditions I encounted. Spent the majority of the available fishing time rafting in Far Mildred with only a short casting session in First and Big. The fish in Far were adaquate in number and size, though I never did catch the one that gulped down the stray apple core despite a frenzied attemp after the surprize attack. I'd go again if I had time to spend a night or two.”

wayde187
                          Participant

The fishing is great. I caught three keepers in about a half hour, two brook and one rainbow. I came across quite a few large schools in the creek coming off of the big lake. One school was about 40 fish. Most of the fish are in the connecting creek right now for spawning season. i just got back a few hours ago. there are some snow patches but they are no trouble to walk through. Bears are out and about as well. I saw one on the main ridge line above the furthest lake. All I used was worm and two corkies, one orange and one glow in the dark white, with orange spots. They loved it and I would just watch the fish come up to my bait. fishing from the bottom didnt work and bobbers didnt work either. Just make sure to reel in as slow as possible with snagging and give some action. I didnt catch any kokanie unfortunately. I recommend going all the way to the furthest lake. There are more fish and less people.

johnston
                            Participant

We did the hike earlier this year, was a great hike one of the hardest I have run into but fishing was amazing, inlets and outlets produced the most for us we never hooked into the 16″+ trout that live in these lakes but we got a few 12-14″ that made a nice dinner. We had the most luck with caddis variations even without a active hatch. We will be doing the hike again. Would recommend to any hiker and fishermen looking for a challenge.

bedawes
                              Participant

Hi all! I apolgize if this thread is dead but wanted to share my fishing report here from Mildred Lakes this past summer 2015.

I am new to the site and this is my first post! I wanted to share my report from hiking Mildred Lakes three times this past summer of 2015. Rather than repeating a lot of information, below is the link to my write up, along with three pictures. If you go to that link, you’ll have everything you need to know about the Mildred Lakes hike itself, including driving directions, hiking tips, etc.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2015-10-29.1042247034

I could have easily limited out every single trip. I only kept a few for lunch/dinner and released the rest. Largest rainbow was in the 16 inch range. There are also Westslope Cutthroat and Brook. There are 3 lakes up there, the largest of which is the 3rd and furthest West lake. From talking with other anglers, the 2nd lake holds some fish in the 20in+ range. Several fly anglers had good success when I was up there on dark flies. The water is crystal clear and the fish are very alert and spook easily. Fishing reports from northwestfishingreports.com have said there are fish in the 5lb+ range. Stocking reports from WDFW are available, and this coming summer 2016 should be prime for great fishing. The lakes have tons of food available and the fish continue to grow.

I highly recommend an overnight trip because you’ll want to fish all day long. Float tube isn’t necessary, plenty of good shore fishing, but it might allow you to access deeper parts of the lakes. I had action all day long, sometimes nearly every cast with 6lb. test and a variety of rooster tails.

It is a serious hike. Please prepare accordingly. I’m planning on doing it several times this coming summer 2016 should anyone wish to experience the beauty themselves and want a guide who knows the hike.

-Brad

Brian Curtis
                                Keymaster

Welcome to the site Brad. Your comment about resurrecting this old thread got me to look back. Wow, it was started in 2002 and previously resurrected in 2012. I certainly enjoy revisiting these old threads. But what really got me was when I realized I had visited these lakes in 1984. Yikes, that’s a long time ago now. The good news is that it doesn’t sound like things have changed too much.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.