Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion mild-winter effects on high mtn lakes?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      StHelensFisher
      Participant

Anyone have any experience fishing a mtn. lake after a mild-winter compared to a normal winter? I know access can be gained earlier. But what are the effects of a mild-winter on trout? The way this years shaping up in SW WA access to the high lakes is going to come very early!

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

The earlier a lake opens up the longer the growing season. I don’t know of any studies that have evaluated how much difference early or late seasons make in fish growth. Other then that I don’t know of any effect an early season would have. Early years certainly allow for more fishing opportunities 😀 Two years ago the snow pack was like this at this time of year but the spring was so cold and wet that the snowmelt wasn’t all that early.

Wildlander
          Participant

“Looks like the same this year. After an unseasonably warm winter, we have snow on the ground in Ellensburg again today. Getting very soggy over here. Last year, March was a pretty cold and soggy month too. Seems to be a pattern now. Warm winter followed by a cold wet spring.”

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.