Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Looking for volunteer opportunities and info on Golden Lakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Daleklo
      Participant

Hi – I’ve come to the last 3-4 meetings and looking for opportunities to help out out on trail maintenence or stocking. dalekloefkorn@hotmail.com.

I also have a question – a group of us are going to backpack the Golden Lakes Loop the first week in July. Can anyone tell me what we can expect fishing these lakes? And what kind of setup would you use for spincast fishing? Eagle, Boiling, Upper and Lower Martin, Cooney and Sunrise Lakes. Many, many thanks for any info!

Keith Peter
        Participant

I would use spinners like mepps, rooster tail etc. Don’t expect much size in Boiling lake as you can ride motorcycles right by it and when I was in it last the fish were small and thin. You will probably do better in the other lakes

Brian Curtis
          Keymaster

What do you mean by setup? Are you asking about lures or the whole package including rod and reel?

Daleklo
            Participant

Hey Brian – I apologise for not being more clear. I’m looking for advice on lure size, best type of lures, line size and type, etc. Many thanks in advance!

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

I like to use 4-lb test line. You want something that will be as invisible as possible. I use regular mono, but light test braided line will work well and cast better then mono if you don’t mind fussing with it.

The best rod is one that will break down into enough pieces to fit completely inside your pack.

I almost always throw lures that are either 3/16 or ¼ oz. I prefer spoons that are brass with red and normally fish with Dardevle (3/16), Kamlooper Jr (3/16), Jakes Spin-a-Lure (¼) or Krocodile (¼) spoons. But don’t let my preference for spoons over spinners dissuade you from taking Keith’s advice because he catches more fish then I do.

If I’m trolling from a raft I will often use a size F-5 to F-7 Flatfish.

I also carry a fly and bubble setup.

Daleklo
                Participant

Thanks so much Brian! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share! Many thanks again – I’ll be sure to share pics. ?

Mark Harris
                  Participant

I have better luck with spoons then spinners. I like the ones that are more cupped in the front. The extra wobble action attracts more fish then the flat crocodile spoons in my opinion. I find I have better luck with spoons and spinners when there isn’t a recent bug hatch. If so, I either have my fly rod or use a casting bubble with fly.

Mark Harris
                    Participant

In addition, I use 4 lb mono like Brian. Accept when I’m fishing for kingfish awards ?, then I use 6 lb fire line. I’ve fished eightmile for close to a decade looking for “Walter” and I had 4 lb mono break twice on me trying to real up from the depths.

Brian Curtis
                      Keymaster

[quote quote=114861]I have better luck with spoons then spinners. I like the ones that are more cupped in the front. The extra wobble action attracts more fish then the flat crocodile spoons in my opinion. I find I have better luck with spoons and spinners when there isn’t a recent bug hatch. If so, I either have my fly rod or use a casting bubble with fly.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with you. In recent years my go to lures have been the 3/16 Dardevles and Kamlooper Jrs which have a ton of action with a very slow retrieve. I go to a Krocodile when the fish aren’t cooperating and I want to try a dead slow retrieve down deep. It seems like there are times when they are sitting on the bottom and don’t want too much action. That’s where the Krocs start to shine. So they are definitely more if a niche lure for me. The Jake’s Spin-a-Lure is an odd beast because it has very little action but what it does have is sort of random and it seems to drive fish nuts. And it it the best casting lure I’ve ever used so when I go up to ¼ oz it is my go to lure.

Jim Bartelme
                        Participant

You might be getting a bit too much data now, but to add a bit more. On Eagle lake, I have had best luck fishing from talus rock pile side of the lake as it is deeper water. I used rooster tail 3/16 oz brown with gold swing later in season and red with silver swing earlier in season. Both seem to work well. As mentioned, Boiling lake is swampy around the edges and harder to fish. I waded out to the edge of the weeds to fish and the fish are rather smallish-but still fun to catch. The hike up to Boiling is just an uphill slog on a well maintained bike trail. Can be very busy if you happen to hit it at the right time…..or alternatively, it can be a nice ride if you are on a bike. This is a very fun hike, especially in the fall when the larch turn color. Good luck.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.