Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      brownster145
      Participant

TextHello everybody,^^^^It has been quite some time since I have had a chance to get out and do any high-lakes fishing. Fortunately, I should have ample opportunity to catch up this summer. I plan to start in early June. ^^^^Could anybody suggest some early season destinations? I am looking for a lake with a place to sleep, and a shore to fish from. Neither need by phenomenal, just relatively snow-free, and somewhat quiet. ^^^^Most of the places that I am familliar with will still be under a good foot of snow by this time. I considered Sunday Lake, in the North Bend area, but upon investigation I learned that the trail is under a substantial amount of water, at least for the first part. Not knowing when that might drain, I thought you folks would be a good group to ask for some help from.^^^^Any would be greatly appreciated.^^^^Thank you^^^^Andrew “

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“Lets see, off the top of my head I can come up with a few…^^^^Goat Lake up Elliott Creek off the Mth Loop Hwy is open now. It gets a fair amount of traffic but it is a big lake and if you make your way down the lake you should be able to get away from people. ^^^^Waptus Lake, on the east side, is always a good early season trip. It is a nice leg stretcher and a good one to help get in shape.^^^^Hyas Lake is short hike so it attracts quite a few people, but it is a big lake.^^^^I’ll have to pull out the maps to jog my memory. Sometimes it can help to check in on the trip reports at the WTA website (http://www.wta.org) where you can get a feel for what lakes are open as the summer progresses.^^^^”

brownster145
          Participant

“Brian,^^^^I had heard that Goat Lake was open, but I have never been there, and couldn’t find it in any of my hiking books. I did read a brief summary and see a picture of the lake on another forum though, and it seems like a worthy destination.^^^^Could you provide a few details for me? Maybe species, average size, and a basic trail overview. Any or all of those would be great. My sincere thanks for your help.^^^^Andrew”

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

“It is an easy trail. There are two possible routes. The normal way has been to follow an old road up, but last summer they rebuilt the old trail so you can take a trail all the way to the lake. In the cliffs at the head end of the lake there used to be a large mining operation. They had to build their buildings like ski jumps so the avalanching snow would slide over the tops of the buildings. At the outlet end of the lake there was a 100 room hotel. You can’t believe that to see it now. There is the remains of a small town across the stream on the way in. It is a beautiful location, but the fish are small brookies. Not much size, but you should be able to catch fish. I think it is 3 or 3.5 miles in, but that is strictly from memory and I could be way off.”

mossback
              Participant

“Over Chinook Pass, on east side, Crow Creek Lake (CT), Janet (CT), Rae (CT). May not be able to get past Raven’s Roost Lookout on wheels. Campsites at all lakes; used to be shelter at Crow Creek Lake; don’t know whether it still exists. It also used to get some horse traffic (don’t know whether it still does). ^^^^Lower and Middle Kendall Peak lakes. Middle lake has campsites. Upper Kendall Peak Lake probably isn’t open, yet. ^^^^Lake Isabel should be open, but fishing from shore won’t offer much opportunity for success. It is at 2800 foot altitude, and deep (180 feet in spots). Will be open, but cold (probably around 45-50 degrees). Has plenty of camp sites. Hard to find the right route to upper May Creek bridge because of all the dirt bike route chewing that has gone on over the years. “

Cliff Church
                Participant

“Another option is upper & lower Grieder Lakes. As for access you might want to call the people at Spada Lake and ask if the gates to the rec area are unlocked yet. I spoke with them several weeks ago and they said the gates to Spada Lake Rec Area (and the TH) should be open by mid May. I would guess the ice might be off both lakes, although Jonathan would know more about that.^^Cliff”

brownster145
                  Participant

“Thank you all for your responses. This is a very helpful group. I have done some research, based off of what you folks have suggested.^^^^It turns out that most of the lakes are either too far to hike into or too far to drive to with the time I will have. I apologize for being so unspecific. I have no real vacation until July, and since I want to start getting out with in a couple of weeks, where ever I go should be able to be reached within a few hours, hiking and driving included. I live in Kent.^^^^Looking at trail reports, I have found a few possibilities in the Darrington Ranger District. These areas reportedly have low usage, and shouldn’t have much in the way of snow by the time I leave.^^^^Of course, I haven’t visited any of these destinations myself, so I was wondering if I might find some information on them: Frog Lake, Pinnacle Lake, and Heather Lake. All looked to be somewhat promising in the way of solitude and maybe even fishing opportunity.^^^^What do you trailblazers think?^^^^Thanks again^^^^Andrew”

Brian Curtis
                    Keymaster

“I don’t know anything about Frog Lake. It is a low lake. Heather and Pinnacle are both nice but you won’t find much solitude at either. In fact, you won’t find much solitude at any lakes that fit your time criteria. But going in July opens up a whole lot more possibilities. Anything along the I-90 corridor. Mason/Kulla Kulla Lakes, Lodge Lake, Snow Lake, Melawkwa Lake. Loch Katrine (the road is gated so it is more of a hike then the map shows). Take the Crest Trail north from Stevens Pass to visit a bunch of lakes. Janus Lake from Smithbrook Road. Hyas Lake, out of Salmon La Sac fits your criteria. “

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.