Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Fishing techniques

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      SportRadical
      Participant

Hi, I am planning to target some Makinaw this summer. I have never targeted these fish before and am wondering if anyone has any techniques or lures that work well for them in the high lakes. Basically all I know is large Makinaw prefer bait fish and deep rock piles. Any info would be awesome=)
        -Chad

Joshua Cowart
        Participant

Good luck! I have never caught one myself. Hopefully someone will fill you in. You already know all that I know about catching lake trout. I hear that in high lakes they hang out in the deepest hole usually and come out at night to eat the lakes inhabitants.

make sure you let us know when you get one and how you did it. pictures too.

Anonymous

I have not fished for lake trout out here but back in michigan…

Trolling with dodgers and down riggers and colorful or flashy spoons.
            Also trolling deep with gang spinners and a worm harness.

Fishing from shore a Isle Royal / Lake Superior I typically used spoons, little cleo’s
            and my favourite is 3″ yellow with red diamond Daredevil which caught
            this one last summer…

Smaller lake I have only caught them deep trolling, typically down ~!00ft
            but that is where the temperature is right for them…

SportRadical
            Participant

Thanks for the info guys =). Nice fish Lone hiker, the ones I caught were not near as fat! I ended up catching some this weekend on a day hike. Biggest was 15″-16″ not huge for a makinaw but plenty of fun for my first ever and on 4lb test and ultralight spin gear. Used a Pline kokanator jigging spoon and large jigs, anything I had that got me down deep and imitated a minnow.

Bob Burnell
              Participant

Hopefully Steve Regis will chime in. He has been pretty successful catching Lake Trout in Washingon high lakes on fly gear. Not sure what he used though. I managed to catch one with a black and gold rooster tail spinner.

If Steve isn’t out fishing he may see this and help out.

Bob

SportRadical
                Participant

Ya, catching one on a fly would be cool. Hopefully he will see this post. Now that I have that species checked on the list I think I am going to shift towards golden trout, but I am still looking to catch something in the 20″ range this summer. I think targeting mackinaw will give me a pretty good chance of doing that ha. Wouldn’t mind a situation like the one in this video, but in a float tube instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJNPrmBWfQ

Wouldn’t normally keep so many fish, but I was going to a bbq. Stuffed with cilantro and onions mmmmmm 😉

georgewalker
                  Participant

@SportRadical wrote:

Hi, I am planning to target some Makinaw this summer. I have never targeted these fish before and am wondering if anyone has any techniques or lures that work well for them in the high lakes. Basically all I know is large Makinaw prefer bait fish and deep rock piles. Any info would be awesome=)
                    -Chad

im from priest lake idaho makinaw will be in shallow in spring at priest lake we use krocodile die 3 called browntrout works for cutthhroat to call me in can send pic from my cell 208-610 4974 or tex me

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.