Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      windrider00
      Participant

“Was wondering if there are any alpine lakes stocked with bull trout here in washington (other than Waptus)? If not, why aren't hey, given that char seem to do well in high alpine lakes plus it would provide another trout variety for those of us who love these hike-in trout fisheries?”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

“The only other high lakes with bull trout are Cougar, First, and Middle Hidden Lakes in the Pasayten. All are native populations. The reason they aren't stocked is that they are very difficult to artificially propagate and there is no program to do so. They are, however, being considered as a possible predator in overpopulated high lakes. Unfortunately, it is just in the talking stages right now and there are large technical hurdles to overcome, but over-populated lakes are a huge problem and bull trout are a definite future possibility.”

sooperfly
          Participant

Brian,

What about the fishies in Black ? They state classifies them as Bull Trout I think?
            😉

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

Nice one Sooperfly, I had definitely forgotten about Black Lake. But I want to know what sort of parallel universe we were inhabiting this weekend. Here I am with my black pants, black top, and blue and black OR hat, and a nice fish, though at 16.75″ it isn’t nearly as big as yours so I guess we don’t quite match. 🙂

sooperfly
              Participant

Brian,

Guess that folder was misleading. That picture was actually taken back in April!

Here is a pic from this last weekend. Oh, and I do love the OR gear. Specially the hat. Don’t leave home without it.

Biggest ( and only one ) I caught might have gone 10 inches. LOL

windrider00
                Participant

“Thanx for the info all. Quick question. The bull trout in those other lakes mentioned, are they off limits as well?”

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

I haven’t looked at the regs recently, but I think you have to release all bull trout.

I’ve heard that the population in the Hiddens is unusual because it is the only known bull trout population that is utilizing seasonal streams for spawning.

sooperfly
                    Participant

Originally posted by windrider00
                      Thanx for the info all. Quick question. The bull trout in those other lakes mentioned, are they off limits as well?

Here in Eastern Washington if I remember correctly, bull trout are off limits, EXCEPT, from the mouth of Cougar Lake down the Lost River to Monument Creek. And they have to be 14 inches. Where the fish are it is rugged, rugged, rugged with no trail.

On another note, if I remember correctly, it is now illegal in the whole state to completely remove from the water any fish that isn’t legal to keep.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.