Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      mcmahon2005
      Participant

Hey, im going to barclay lake this saturday to fish the ice out. does anyone have any tips for me on the fishing, ive never fished at ice out so any info is good info.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

The water will be cold and the fish won’t be moving around much. They’ll stay in the shade as much as possible. If there are multiple holes in the ice you can fish concentrate on the one in the shade. If you are using lures keep them very slow moving with a lot of action and move them as slowly as possible. A Flatfish can be good at this time. If you are fishing flies try putting them near the edge of the ice. If the fish aren’t coming up to dries try fishing deep at the edge of the ice.

mcmahon2005
          Participant

the fishing sucked, the lake was turning over.

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

Fishing typically sucks when the water is too cold so that isn’t unexpected. But I doubt the lake was turning over. A lake like Barclay probably isn’t big and deep enough to stratify. More likely, the water was too cold and the fish weren’t moving around much.

Was it ice free?

mcmahon2005
              Participant

yep, it was ice free, the lake had snow around it in the exposed spots though. How deep is barclay, the lake had a bunch of debree floating everywhere so i thought it was turning over, plus the temperature was right around 39 degrees.

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

The debris probably came from snow slides during the winter. That is very common. I don’t know how deep Barclay is.

mcmahon2005
                  Participant

that would make sense, while i was there, i heard a few and saw one rock slide/avalanche.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.