Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion Baker Dam closed until Further Notice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Cliff Church
      Participant

“Hello, just thought I would pass this along: Baker Dam is closed until further notice, as a result of security concerns with last week’s change to terrorist alert orange””. We discovered this early yesterday morning (9/15) when we tried to enter the road that goes across the dam to access Watson-Anderson Lakes. A security guard is stationed there and told us the road over the bridge was off limits until further notice. I didn’t have a map with me but I think there is another way around to the lakes via the Baker Lake Trail, but I think it’s about a ten mile hike instead of two or three. This was a family outing with children so we elected to go elsewhere. By the way, there is no signage on the Baker Lake Hwy letting you know the dam is closed to the public. I would suspect that other areas with dams, watershed and/or reservoirs might be affected by this alert, too.^^Cliff”””

Ken McLeod
        Participant

“thanks for the tip on the dam & road. Although I understand the concern, it appears to be pretty stupid…Baker Dam possibly being hit by terrorists, what a joke. If terrorists want to hit something, they certainly would choose something of a more grand scale than that, more like Grand Coolee or Boeng, ect. I heard Barny Fife wason duty up there recenly, too.”

Cliff Church
          Participant

“You’re welcome, McP. Agree with you that it’s kind of silly about the dam. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to screw around with it, but you never know, I guess. Yea, the guard was kind of a Barney Fife, and looked to be nursing a hangover from the night before, but he seemed like a pretty nice guy. I felt sorry for him because he was already catching the brunt of several hikers frustrations, and I imagine it got much worse as the weekend wore on. I understand this Baker Dam problem may end in another week or so.”

Sandy McKean
            Participant

“Unfortunately, so much of this security”” crap is just CYA. What the PUD is *really* worried about is being criticized afterwards IF something did happen (1:10,000,000 doesn’t matter).”””

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.