Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Miscellaneous Alone in the Wilderness

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      brownster145
      Participant

I’m sure most of you have already seen this, but just in case:

There has been a fantastic documentary running on PBS for the last few months. It’s called “Alone in the Wilderness.”

A summary can’t do it justice, so I won’t try, but I will say, Dick Proenneke was an amazing man.

Andrew

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

I caught it about a month ago. What an amazing film. He did amazing work. He’d take a piece or wood and transform it into a beautiful spoon or intricate hinge or perfect board with simple primitive tools. I highly recommend watching this, too.

There were a couple shots I wondered about. He filmed himself the whole time, but a couple times there were tracking shots of him. I was wondering if he had a pilot, or someone visiting take those, or if he rigged up some way he could make the camera pan while he walked by.

sooperfly
          Participant

Great show! A person just gets drawn in. I hear the book is very good too, my copy is on the way.

brownster145
            Participant

Brian- I believe he had help on some of the filming. A bush plane would drop off supplies every 4-8 weeks, and I know his brother came up to visit at one point.

I was impressed with both his camera work and the quality of the film itself (clarity, color, etc.).

Andrew

BTW, Brian- when is the lake survey page going to be back up and working? I was meaning to fill out a few surveys for various trips I took this summer, but I got terribly busy at the end of the summer and have stayed that way up until now.

Brian Curtis
              Keymaster

@brownster145 wrote:

BTW, Brian- when is the lake survey page going to be back up and working?

We’re doing some major upgrades to the underlying database. It should be back up before the new year.

brownster145
                Participant

Alright, good to know.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.