Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mcmahon2005
      Participant

Is there a way to find out the age of a fish? If so, how would you do it???

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Fish are aged by reading scales or otoliths. When fish grow they leave rings on their scales much like tree rings. Otoliths are inner ear bones and they are often easier to read then scales. The problem is that to be able to read scales or otoliths you need both experience and a microscope.

If a fish is from a lake that does not have natural reproduction an age can often be guessed based on the stocking records.

Do you have a fish from a particular lake in mind?

mcmahon2005
          Participant

I have a couple actually. Hemple Lake. Lake 22, and North Lake. Im not sure if north lake was stocked or natural tho.

Brian Curtis
            Keymaster

North Lake is one I know a bit about. I stock that one myself. It gets fish every 4 years and was last stocked in 1998 and 2002. I really want to get a good survey on North because it will be coming up again next year and I want to be sure we do the right thing.

Anonymous

thanx for replying and telling me how to get to hemple lake McPilchuck. I was looking on my topo map and saw another lake that looks to be decent fishing if there are any fish. Summit Lake is on the south side of pilchick and there looks to be a route from pinnacle lake. Was this lake ever stocked?

Brian Curtis
                Keymaster

Yes, Summit Lake is stocked regularly.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.