Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum High lakes discussion 4 day hiking trip with lots of good fishing

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      pcisko
      Participant

My father and I want to take a three or four day hiking/camping trip this summer up in the mountains. We want to go to a place with good fishing. Does anyone have a recomendataion of a trip like this in the NW washington area? It would be nice to be able to hike to a new lake everyday.

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

Are you thinking of car camping with day hikes every day? Or hiking all the days?

pcisko
          Participant

I would like to leave the car and hike/camp each day

Dave Weyrick
            Participant

Do you or your father have much experience fishing in the high country? Destination specifics are probably best not discussed on an open forum like this where posts last forever, but some idea of the types of trips you’ve done would allow readers to better advise you. Generally, you start looking at maps and reading trip reports (nwhikers.net) from areas that have lakes (even if folks didn’t fish) and then PM active posters (here or at nwhikers) for help with what might be possible given your experience. You have at least two months before the lakes above 4,000 ft. will melt, plenty of time to consider many possibilities.

Jim Mighell
              Participant

Dear pcisko (sp?) : I’m going to break with my fellow Trail Blazer here, and recommend a trip that will fit your bill quite nicely, without giving up any coveted fishing info:

The Seven lakes Basin and vicinity on the Soleduck R. in Clallam County has beautiful high country and plenty of lakes to hit for a 4 day trip- some will have fast fishing some may have only a few fish, but certainly an area worth exploring – I took that trip many years ago on a 3 day trip amd barely touched the lakes in the area – there may be other campers on a holiday weekend, but otherwise little pressure (I saw no one) – Lots of Elk, but don’t go if weather forecast is iffy – can get very nasty up there. I walked out via Hoh R. but a round trip back to Soleduck Hot Springs is great.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.