Forums Forums Public High Lakes Forum Trail Blazers interest in trailblazers and highlakers

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      jackchinook
      Participant

“So, I’m sure many of you guys are both highlakers as well as trailblazers so I thought it’d be a good place to ask:^^^^What does a guy who’s got huge amounts of interest in backpacking and fishing highlakes as well as a ton of experience in the Cascades and a couple degrees in fishy-type sciences have to do to become officially involved in these two clubs. I have been to a highlakers meeting once with a friend but it was a couple years ago now and I’ve been away at Grad school. Now I’m back and have no excuses why I shouldn’t become an active contributor. What, Who, When, Where, How?^^^^Michael”

Brian Curtis
        Keymaster

The two clubs are quite different and complimentary. The Hi-Lakers are more of a social club. There are guest speakers during most of the year. The club emphasizes collecting high lake angling surveys which are collected and given to the WDFW. There are no membership requirements beyond the yearly dues which don’t quite cover the cost of the meeting space and a bimonthly newsletter. Meetings are the third Wednesday of every month from 7:30 to 10:00 PM at the Community Center at Mercerview on Mercer Island. Driving directions here.^^^^Trail Blazers’ meetings are much more business oriented. They do not feature guest speakers. To be considered for membership prospective members are expected to attend meetings regularly and go along on several stocking trips. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month (that’s coming up this next Thursday) at 7:30 at the community center in Lake City. I don’t have a ready link to driving directions at hand. E-mail me at trailblazer@mac.com and I’ll dig some up.

Brian Curtis
          Keymaster

“I guess when I gained an hour with daylight savings time I lost a week. The TB meeting isn’t this Thursday like I said, but next Thursday, November 7.”

Keith Peter
            Participant

Where and when does the Trailblazers meet at these day? Thanks KP

allison
              Participant

Tonight, 7:30, second floor of Lake City Community Center. Come on over!

Keith Peter
                Participant

Sorry I didn’t get the message in time is there directions to this place? Thanks Keith

Brian Curtis
                  Keymaster

I’ll send you an email.

Steve Bucher
                    Participant
                      Sandy McKean
                      Participant

We respond around here. It might take 3 years, but respond we will!!

😆 😆 😆

Keith Peter
                        Participant

Thats tooo funny!!

Dave Weyrick
                          Participant

Did jack chinook ever attend a HL’er or TB’er meeting?

Brian Curtis
                            Keymaster

He never came to a meeting that I’m aware of, but he came to a Winter Social. He lives in Eastern Washington.

allison
                              Participant

Michael is also an FS fish biologist for what that’s worth.

jackchinook
                                Participant

What a coincidence! I log on to find this thread has very recently been resurrected!

A lot has happened since 2002….a couple cross-country moves, a few different jobs, couple kids.

Brian is right, I never did make it to a meeting but did manage to make it to a winter social (with Angus).

I’m now in the doldrums of having kids too young to hike with me, but too large to carry! I get a couple trips per summer, including what was an epic week in the Pasayten this summer. And I occasionally get a chance to drop some fry off for our local DFW bio in some Okanogan Co. lakes.

I hope to make it to a meeting at some point and have enjoyed PM’ing and corresponding with a few of you folks every now and again.

Here’s a few from our last trip:

Brian Curtis
                                  Keymaster

Those are stunning pictures. If you ever feel like posting any more, don’t hesitate! 😀

Bob Burnell
                                    Participant

Jack

Those are indeed great photos. I love the Pasayten and the one of the lake and golden larches is beautiful.
                                      I thought I’d been over much of that area over the years but don’t recognize that lake. Which lake is it?

Thanks for sharing

Bob

Sandy McKean
                                      Participant

Bob,

I think “Jack’s” real name is Michael.

P.S. This is not a slam on you Michael since the vast majority of folks seem to be in your camp, but frankly I get very tired of folks using all these pseudonyms on the internet. I almost always use my real name since I think the communication is degraded when folks “hide” behind pseudonyms. I am VERY glad that in the TB’er and HL’er forums we all use our real names. I LIKE knowing I’m talking to Bob Burnell and not to TheBigGuyUpATree :D.

Art Jackson
                                        Participant

Bob,

Dot Mt, Ptarmigan Pk & Tamarack Ridge have received extra attention recently on NWHikers with a couple TRs on the area.
                                          The first pic with golden larches is of the Dot Lks. The second pic is Lease Pot #1 (Lake 6393, the N’most of two on the W side of Lease Cr) which is surrounded by charcoal larches. 🙂

jackchinook
                                          Participant

Thanks guys for the compliments on the photos. It was a gorgeous week in the Pasayten and we had good weather, plus a little smoke to make the sunsets that much more dramatic.

Yep, Dot Lakes as well as one of the pots up above Lease Creek….though only one of our party made it down to actually fish and swim in the Dots. That would be Angus (I believe he goes by the name Sooperfly here and elsewhere). I stopped at the shoulder on Dot Peak to look down on them. We wasted too much time soaking in the glory on Ptarmigan Peak.

That cutthroat wasn’t from either lake and we didn’t get the chance to make it over to any of those pots above Lease Creek….or even down to Dot Mtn Lake, which looked interesting.

Pseudonyms: Sandy, no offense taken. I came up with that silly name back in my college days in the early 90’s….before online personas became the norm they are today. My college roommate and I were doing a lot of hiking and tramping around the Chuckanuts and the Mt Baker Highway areas. We thought we were pretty incredible and that we needed backcountry alter egos. Thus Jack Chinook and Buck Leatherman were born. Shortly thereafter, I found myself setting up a free email address and the name continued to live on. I think ol’ Buck Leatherman had the sense to leave his pseudonym in Bellingham!

and yes, my real name is Michael

Sandy McKean
                                            Participant

@jackchinook wrote:

We thought we were pretty incredible and that we needed backcountry alter egos.

😆 😆 😆

I recently acquired such a “macho” name from a friend from Mexico with whom I was doing some physical work. This was up in the San Juan Islands where I have a place (and to which I am moving permanently soon). There had been some coyotes in area about which we were all worried (considering our small pets). Anyway, here we were: this aging white guy (me), and this aging brown guy (my Mexican friend), when suddenly he started laughing uncontrollably……he had invented a pseudonym for me: Coyote Blanco.

I was a brilliant stroke. If you knew my personality, and saw the paleness of my skin compared to his bronze body, you would have joined me and he in the resulting sustained belly laugh. He and I have been joking about it ever since. For days after that one would hear the occasional yell at my secluded island retreat of Coyote Blancoooooo coming from him, to which I would dutifully howl at the sky.

Keith Peter
                                              Participant

From this point forward let it be known that Sandy is now “Coyote Blanco” 😆

Jon Terhaar
                                                Participant

So, if I can’t attend “regularly”, I won’t be considered for membership? Seems unfair. I live in Lyle and fish lakes near Mt. Adams, oh, probably twice every week.

Keith Peter
                                                  Participant

Jon,
                                                    Don’t feel like you can’t kick in the membership fee and become a member of the HiLakers. You will love the group, I encourage you!!

scottchristiani71
                                                    Participant

Hi guys. I see that this is an old thread, I am hoping it might come back to life.

I came to a Trailblazers meeting in November, and have intended to come back and get involved, but my wife has brain cancer and another tumor has presented itself. This one is inoperable. She is hanging tough, and we are hopeful that chemo will stun it into silence. Unfortunately, her chemo weeks have coincided with the first of the month, and I pretty much just need to take care of her during the evening, as it is a nightly regimen of dinner – medications – chemo – going to bed. It really knocks it out of her. If anyone could keep me in the loop until I can get back to meetings that would be great. The chemo is tentatively scheduled to end in June.

On another note, I have kind of a neat small world story. I was talking to a co-worker the other day about going hiking and getting into fishing, and that I wanted to stock some lakes along the way, and it turns out that his dad was an early Trailblazer. His name was Con Mattson and he joined in 1939, and named a couple of lakes after his daughters, Judy and Carole. Gerald (known back then as Jerry) is pictured in the old black and white photo shown on the history page on this website. He was about 12 in that photo. Learning this has made me want to join up even more!

Brian Curtis
                                                      Keymaster

Scott, taking care of your wife is the most important thing. I hope the chemo is successful and she starts feeling better soon.

Con Mattson was, without a doubt, one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. If Gerald is anything at all like is dad you are lucky to have a great co-worker.

Feel free to email or PM me and I can fill you in on what you’ve missed at the meetings.

scottchristiani71
                                                        Participant

Very cool Brian, I will shoot you an email this week and we can touch base:)

And yes, Gerald is a great guy. He is very smart, extremely knowledgeable and, maybe most importantly, he loves to share his knowledge and listen to what others have to share.

scottchristiani71
                                                          Participant

Hey Brian, I sent you an email, but from a different email address than the one I used previously. Please let me know if you didn’t get it 🙂

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.